Saturday, February 13, 2010

Onto the next book, or two

So, I was able to finish Sacred Parenting - great read! It only took me two years to finish! It's not a hard read at all and I highly recommend it. In the epilogue of the book the author made some really good points about how our children don't belong to us but to God and when we attend to their needs we are tending to God. When we mend a broken heart we are mending God's, etc, etc, etc. He was referring to the Scripture where Jesus talks about what you did for one of these you did for me. When I was hungry, you gave me food, when I was naked you gave me clothes - that passage (I don't have the book and am too lazy to look it up!!!). If you don't know what I'm talking about leave me a message and I'll post the actual passage for you!

Now I am going to try and attempt to finish another book that i started awhile ago - The Five Love Languages. I was off to a good start with that one, but got busy, put it down and lately have realized I need to pick it up again. Phil and I have been married for 7 1/2 years and I still can't figure out his dominant love language. I made him take the quiz last weekend when he was home so that i could get it right. Now I need to finish reading the book so I can know how to love him better and more. I think now with all the away time and commuting it's real important that when we are together we love each other the best that we can.

I started another book a few weeks ago. I'm not sure why I do this. I start lots of projects, books, etc and have a real hard time finishing them. So I picked up another book called, Joining Children on the Spiritual Journey. I'm on to Chapter 2 and so far so good.

I really want to take time to read when I have the opportunity. I hope that by reading I can learn some new things to be able to share with others. It's just hard to find the time to read when there aren't a million other things that need your attention!!! I'll keep you posted on the books and any other books I happen to pick up along the way.

PS - Carmen, I do have the Think Orange book, I read the first chapter and it is sitting on my shelf at work! I'll get to it one day! I've heard a lot of good things about it. Thanks for the heads up!

5 comments:

Nicole said...

It's in Matt. 25. That was the theme of our Africa missions trip.

Bloggy Mama said...

I looove the 5 love languages book. I've heard there is one for kids, too!!

The Yee's said...

Yes, you are both rights!

Liz, there is a book called The 5 Love Languages of Children - I have it, but haven't read it yet!!! :)

Danica said...

So many books...so little time.

Carmen said...

I totally get the starting and not finishing thing. I now will only commit myself to things that I can put down and pick up later with ease (hence the crochet and not knitting endeavor!). I think back to college and how I was so overwhelmed with things to read I hardly enjoyed it. Now I savour the moments, and its a personal victory that requires celebration when I finish a book. Luckily my hubby's a slow reader so he its a big celebration when he finishes a book too!
Another recommendation is Francis Chan's book "Crazy Love". He has another book that I haven't got to yet "Forgotten God" and a new one coming out soon. VERY GOOD and he has a different way of approaching scripture that is very challenging and insightful.