So the other day, Makayla went down for a nap and I grabbed a few minutes to myself and turned on the tv and low and behold there was an episode of Dr Phil on. I never watch the show but the topic caught my attention. They were talking about the fact that moms/women in general have 30-40 hours of leisure time each week. Here's a link to that episode. This guy who did the research said that a woman's leisure time consists of going to the dentist, sitting in your broken down car waiting for the tow truck, checking your BlackBerry while waiting to pick up your children, etc. I find this to be so crazy. When I think about my day I do have some moments to myself, but then I start thinking about what to make for dinner, what's on the agenda for the rest of today or the next few days. What do I have to do, how long is Makayla going to nap for, etc... Do other moms/women out there have 30-40 hours of leisure time each week? I don't think so! It's even worse for those, I believe, who also work outside the home. They work and then have to come home and do all the laundry, the cooking, the cleaning, etc. Those who stay home I don't think have it any easier. Chasing kids around all day, trying to get them to behave plus trying to fit in all the daily chores and keeping your sanity at the same time is a full time job without much leisure.
One man was upset with is wife who is a SAHM and he would get upset with her when he would come home because the house wasn't clean or dinner wasn't up to his standard. She tried to tell him that she attempted to do it but when one of the kids got sick she had to take care of them instead of the house. He just didn't really understand - I felt bad for her. We know too that the men work just as hard at their jobs during the day and they want to come home and be taken care of. But moms work hard at home too and want some time to be taken care of - going to bed at midnight for 5 hours just doesn't seem like leisure time.
The show gave me a lot to think about. I found people's perspective on this were varying and it made me appreciate the help I do get from my husband and to be thankful for the "leisure" time that I do get and appreciate all that I have (whether it be a messy house or a clean house!).
2 comments:
Yea, I call it "me" time. Not that much, I don't think... but we just multi-task right? In any moment there are a billion things going on!!
Wow, I had no idea that was a concept out there. I'll have to watch that episode, but it will be in 10, 6 minute chunks so I might not actually get the whole idea, lol. That definition of leisure time made me laugh a bit, it's like when you are so excited you got a new vaccum cleaner for your birthday and you stop and go 'man, this is being a grown up?' I like to think that's what retirement will be for me, 30-40 hours a week of leisure time. It has to take less time to clean up after 2 people than 6! ;)
Post a Comment