Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Little Princess, er I mean Terror :)

Well, we must be getting close to those terrible twos. My little princess hasn't been all that princessy lately! In fact she is challenging me and pushing every button possible (some buttons I didn't even realize that I had!). It has been super hard to be a solo parent lately too and not have backup or someone to witness these events (or meltdowns!).

We went shopping the other day and she was sitting in the cart all angelic and waving and saying hi to everyone that walks by. When she really wants something, and I say, "what do you say?" she replies with, "PPPEEEEEZZZZZEE!". Her new favorite thing is to watch tv. I don't like her watching a lot of tv and really limit how much and what it is that she watches. We have purchased a few DVD's (her favorite being Little Einstein's movies). Whenever we come home or are in the living room she always asks for "wewe", which translated is movie or tv depending on her mood. If she wants a movie she will usually do something from the movie - for instance, the Einstein movies the little kids in it pat their legs to get their rocket to go and they say, "pat, pat, pat", so that's what she does when she wants that movie. The other day the movie finished and we were going to have supper. I told her it was supper time and I was going to turn off the tv. She started crying and screaming and screaming and crying and asking for her "wewe". These last few days this happens when I turn off the tv for anything. It's tough, because to make life easy I could just have the tv on all day and she would be completely happy, but I know that is not the right thing to do, but it saves me from having to listen to her whining and crying and screaming. This parenting thing is not easy and I am learning to be firm in my decision and when I say no or turn off the tv I really mean it. I know I still have a lot to learn and I know that there will be ups and downs. I just wish some days were easier. I am learning to take a few deep breaths, talk calmly and then walk away. Hopefully we can learn together and work this through together.

Here she is all cute and lovely... I should attempt to take a picture at some point when she is not being so angelic!


I love my little princess, but sometimes she can be just a little terror!

3 comments:

Carmen said...

So familiar! Except my little princess is 4 next month! I remember going through that with Aria at that age, but its so strange to be going through it again with her. At least she's very articulate now. Some girlfriends warned me about the pre-4 time... So crazy. You're doing great Jenn, and try and keep the tension low so you're little babe inside doesn't feel your stress. I had such a short fuse when I was pregnant with Roscoe... poor Aria, is all I can say!

The Yee's said...

Thanks Carmen! Glad to hear that I'm not alone on this one! I can't believe your little princess is turning 4 already!! WOW!

Bloggy Mama said...

So cute and, yes, I hear you with the frustrations. I feel like some of that is mirrored over here, with Sus. Soon enough it will be over, I'm sure, and I will have a teenager on my hands and be wishing the 2yo tantrums back :)