Ok... so for those of you that are aware it is the season of Lent. As of today (Feb. 21) Lent has begun. Lent is the time just before Easter where we take time to reflect on the sacrifice that Jesus made for us on the cross. During Lent people are required to fast. In the early Christians times people fasted food usually for 40 days (like Jesus in the desert). Now a days, there are so many different types of fast. My co-worker is giving up caffine for 40 days (and his wife is about to have a baby so we all think that he is crazy becuase he is going to NEED the caffine). I have decided to give up all kinds of sweet things (like candy, chocolate, desserts, pop, hot chocolate and sweet sugary drinks). So, today being the first day I found it so hard. I was consciously aware of the fact that I was not to have any of those items. Then Phil had kinda forgotten and ate chocolates in front of me this afternoon. YIKES! The ironic thing is that the first day of Bible reading (the church put together 40 days of Bible reading in preparation for Easter) was talking about Jesus' temptation in the desert by Satan. Jesus knew that spending 40 days in the desert without food was going to be very difficult. Yet, he was able to stay focused on the mission. So, I take confort in knowing that if Jesus can do it I can too! The point of fasting is to give up something that you know that you are going to miss and when you feel tempted you go to God. It is supposed to help you refocus your attention on God. I found myself doing that very often today. They say that the first week is always the hardest, so if I can get through the next 6 days I think I will be able to make it all the way. I will keep you posted as to how the next 39 days work out.
I would like to encourage you all to begin to start to think about the meaning of Easter and preparing yourselves for what is to come!
1 comment:
Jenn...Good job! :) I commend you on your determination to fast. Just kick Phil really hard in the shin the next time he eats chocolate in front of you. Haha.
Post a Comment